6 Things You Must Do In Anguilla
Anguilla is a hidden gem and one of our favorite islands in the Caribbean. It is 16 miles long by 3 miles wide, and while it can be a little more difficult to travel to (because as of now most major airlines don’t fly directly there), it’s well worth the journey to visit some of the best beaches in the world. If you have the funds, you can fly private directly into Anguilla’s Clayton J. Lloyd International Airport or, fly into St. Maarten (SXM) and hire a private charter boat to take you to the island. Otherwise, flying into SXM and taking the public ferry out of Marigot is always a great option too. No matter how you get there, each option will offer stunning mountainous and sea views.
Now that we have getting there covered, keep reading for the things you must do when visiting the incredible island of Anguilla. While you can fit some of this into a day trip from St. Maarten, we recommend staying at least one night so that you can soak up more of what Anguilla has to offer.
One thing we did want to note: the island has not yet fully recovered from Hurricane Irma that hit last summer, but it is still green and glowing with brilliant blue water, and the Anguillians have proven resilient, smiling and welcoming tourists back.
- Snorkel at Maundays Bay near Cap Juluca. This white powder sand beach is perfect for snorkeling because it has limited wave action. You’ll see conches the size of your head in the clear, sparkling blue water.
- Eat lunch at Blanchards Beach Shack, steps from the water on Meads Bay. This open-air cafe features the best blackened mahi tacos and homemade ice cream desserts you will ever eat! Check Blanchards Beach Shack for re-opening details.
- Listen to live reggae music at Bankie Banx’s Dune Preserve on Rendezvous Bay. This awesome, laid-back, treehouse-esque beach bar offers the perfect Caribbean vibe with the best local island talent. Bankie and his son Omari perform regularly along with occasional celebrity guest appearances. Make sure to also check Bankie Banx Dune Preserve for re-opening details.
- Visit Sunset Lounge at Four Seasons Resort on Barnes Bay. They have an infinity pool overlooking the ocean with spectacular sunset views – what more could you ask for? Grab a rum punch and enjoy the sleek and comfortable atmosphere.
- Ride horses down the quiet beach right along the turquoise water on Cove Bay. This is the most tranquil and serene setting and no better way to see the west end of the island.
- Kayak and then cliff jump into Little Bay. Park near the restaurant Da’Vida and rent kayaks from the beach shack. Kayak around to the right and you will see a huge rock with a rope attached. If you dare, climb to the top and JUMP! It is just high enough to be exhilarating and certainly worth the journey for this unique experience.
The island of Anguilla is breathtaking and we are truly grateful for being able to experience the local culture, beauty and magic that it has to offer.